Permit to Carry Resources
HomePage Middle Title
Professional and Innovative Training Solutions
How do I get a Permit to Carry?
The Minnesota Personal Protection Act took effect May 28, 2003. Since then, cities no longer issue permits to carry handguns. To obtain a permit to carry a handgun in Minnesota, you must take an approved permit to carry a handgun course and fill out a MN permit to carry application. Once you have done that, you need to turn the permit to carry application in to the sheriffs office in the county you reside along with proof that you attended an approved permit to carry a handgun course. The Minnesota Permit to Carry Application is available for download below.

          Minnesota Permit to Carry Application

How do I get a Permit to Purchase?
Applicants for permits to purchase handguns must apply in person to the police department in the city in which they live and present a valid Minnesota driver’s license or identification card with their current address. If your city does not have a police department, then you must apply with the sheriff’s office in the county that you reside. The Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application is download-able below.

          Minnesota Permit to Purchase Application

Reciprocity Information
It is very important to know where your permit is valid. Below are some links to some excellent sources that contain information on permit reciprocity.

Legal Resources

Marc Berris is a partner of the Segal, Rotson & Berris law firm in Minneapolis. Marc has extensive experience representing firearms owners, both in connection with the defensive use of a firearm, and in challenging denials of pistol carry permits or transferee permits.

He is also an NRA-certified firearms instructor and board member of the Minnesota Association of Defensive Firearm Instructors (MADFI), a nonprofit organization created to train, certify and support firearms instructors who wish to conduct training for citizens seeking a Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol under the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act of 2005.

Marc Can be reached at 612-332-3100